Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Joys of International Program Management and Football Friendlies

Due to a customer visit yesterday in the repair facility where I work, I elected not to wear an England kit. It wasn't so much the idea that all my German colleagues would throw me into an unused office and beat me up, it was more like the fact that I didn't want the company CEO and CFO getting bent out of shape with me not following company dress code...again.

My local was filled with football fans last evening for the big event. Sure, there were a couple of English floating around, but there were mostly German supporters. Not a surprise, being Frankfurt.

Frank Lampard's goal wasn't half bad, but I was more concerned about the keeper; I don't need Arsenal's number one making any more mistakes than he has already this season. I was saying as much to a friend of mine when Germany equalized off some pretty questionable play by England's own keeper.

A festive pub is always cool during a match, particularly with the rivalry like this one.
Things turned up a notch when Pander struck a nice shot past Robinson late in the first half. It was a worthy winning goal.

During the half time break I finished my pint and paid up; I needed to get home and get some rest before my customer arrived the following morning. Of course, this only meant that I left the pub, walked 20 meters to my flat, keyed in, then turned on the telly to see the second half of the match. Not terribly exciting, save for a bit of SWP, but there you go.

I normally support England when it comes to International football, but this was a so called friendly, and I'm not all that big of a fan of these things. Too many times it interferes with club play. In short, I wasn't too concerned about the result, and went to bed dreaming of sugar plums and whatnot.

This morning on the commute to work, I saw lots of smiling faces; something that's unusual with German commuters at 7am. But, their team had one a good victory last night, and they were proud.

Upon my arrival to work, my colleagues excitedly talked to me about the game, then they gave my English colleague a bit of ribbing when he walked in the door. "We just can't seem to lose at Wembley," they said.

Big fun. Hopefully all the Arsenal players got through the evening without too much wear and tear, and I hope Becks has a good flight back to LA.

go gunners
bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment