Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Galaxy Jersey Just Came in the Mail

Wow, Becks out for all of September and probably most of October. I can't remember how long the MLS season is, but I get the feeling that LA won't be making the playoffs. Does that mean Beckham won't be playing any more in 2007?

David's arrival to play in the US has increased the interest in Major League Soccer in Europe. I'll agree to that, if only from a soap opera angle. It's unfortunate that he's now injured, but for some reason I figured something like this would happen.

(Beckham Photo courtesy AFP: Robyn Beck)

On the other side of things, guys like Keller and McBride continue to impress at Fulham (though McBride is out for the next couple of months himself), DaMarcus Beasley now plays for Rangers and recently scored a goal, and more than a handful of English teams have American players that have earned starting positions. Brad Friedel is by far one of the best keepers in the league; all of the US keepers play starting positions for English teams. It's those players that tend to earn more European respect. At least that's my perception as I have conversations with ex-Pats from around the world.

Elsewhere in Europe, it will be interesting to see what happens to Freddy Adu. He seems destined for the subs bench for the next little while, but assuming he gets an opportunity, he might just impress a few people, too.

Week after week, these players tend to keep a low profile, and quietly go about the task of gaining more experience. I'm just surprised that more players aren't following their lead. True, Fulham FC probably has more American players than any other Premiership club, but I'm certainly not saying that's the reason that they're currently in 2nd to last place. In fact, I'm saying quite the opposite. I think they're getting some excellent experience playing against some really really good players from around the world.

I seem to recall former US National Team Coach Steve Sampson saying something back in '94 or '98 like, "The US will win the world cup in about 12 years," and I'm not seeing that materialize. I'll excuse the loss to Sweden and consider that a bad day out at a friendly, but more US players need to get out and get some experience playing outside of the US. The MLS cannot afford to bring in another Becks to try to raise the level of play. They'll go bankrupt. Besides, one Becks cannot completely change the make up of a team. LA still look like they're going to hold up the Western Conference.

At least I got my jersey before it becomes a collectors' item.

No comments:

Post a Comment